Top 10 Commandments for Writers
Words aren’t easy. They may not flow. They may suck. There may be too many. Writers write: it’s in the very definition. Let’s come up with a set of rules to make it easier to generate the words in your stories:
- You shall not listen to your inner critic.
- You shall write first, edit later.
- Remember to keep learning, you shall join a writer’s group, take a class, or attend a conference.
- You shall make time to write every day.
- You shall send out submissions or self-publish.
- Honor thyself. No one writes quite like you.
- You shall try something new (experiment with a different genre or new literary devices).
- You shall have fun! Enjoy being a writer.
- You shall develop an author platform (social media, website, book trailers, blog, etc.).
- You shall set goals (hit a daily word count, submit your work, get published…).
Do you have any self-imposed writing rules? What are they?